How you can now pay traffic fines in Spain from your phone

The 'mi DGT' app for drivers in Spain first launched two years ago, but since then it has undergone several updates. Find out what the latest changes are, including how you can now pay fines from your phone.

miDGT app for drivers in Spain
Spain's miDGT app now allows you to pay fines online. Photo: Esme Fox

The latest update to the miDGT (My DGT) app for drivers in Spain improves on several functions, as well as adding new ones.

The most notable of these is that it now allows drivers to pay fines via their mobile phones.

Drivers no longer have to go to the bank or DGT (Directorate General of Traffic) offices to pay fines for speeding or other traffic offences and can simply pay it online via the app by inputting their bank details.

Rather than waiting to make an appointment or standing in the queue at the bank, it can even be done from your sofa at home.

In addition, the app also enables you to download a receipt for the payment if you ever need proof.  

And there a more upgrades to an app which already allows drivers to carry with them a digital version of their driving licences on their phones. 

READ ALSO – Driving in Spain: the new rules and fines in 2022

mi dgt app spain pay fines

The mi DGT app now allows you to pay traffic fines from your mobile or tablet as well as being able to access other useful information such as your driver’s licence, your vehicle’s number plate and other important information. Image: DGT

Car sharing updates 

Car sharing is becoming more common for young people who may not be able to afford their own cars or who only need them during certain times, such as weekends.

The new miDGT update also addresses this by introducing several new functions.  One of these is enabling you to find out who received the fine if you share a car with others or yours was borrowed by friends or family members.

The app also allows you to indicate the usual driver of a vehicle by putting their ID and date of birth, so the fines will reach them. The update also means that vehicle documentation can be shared with other drivers, if one person has the physical papers at home.  

READ ALSO – How to cut travel costs by carpooling in Spain: Eight trustworthy options

Requesting appointments and checking results

Another new addition to the app, means that it is now possible to request an appointment at the DGT offices via the app. Learner drivers can also consult the results of their exams.  

READ ALSO: How much does it cost to get your driving licence in Spain?

In addition to confirming that your registration or driving license is valid, the authenticity of official documents can also be verified using a CSV (Secure Verification Code). This code, issued by the DGT, can be scanned into the app, in order to display the documents on your smartphone screen.

It also gives you the option to download the documents onto your phone if you ever need to show them without having the physical documents with you.

App not in English

Unfortunately, the mi DGT app is currently only available in Spain’s five official languages but not in English. 

To help our readers who are still learning Spanish navigate the homepage of the mi DGT app, here are the translations to the main categories:

Mis vehículos: My vehicles

Mis multas: My fines

Mis trámites: My processes

Nota examen: Exam result

Verificaciones: verifications

Cita previa: prior appointment

READ ALSO: Beat the queues – 23 official driving matters you can do online in Spain

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


How to change the title holder of utility bills in Spain

When you move into a new property in Spain you will need to change the account or contract holder over, so that any future water, electricity or gas bills will be in your name. It's not as easy as you may think; here's how you go about it.

How to change the title holder of utility bills in Spain

Changing the name on your utility bills and the payment details should in theory be relatively straightforward, however you may come up against some common problems which can make the change pretty complicated.

Firstly, you will need to find out which energy companies have been contracted for your property.

You can do this by asking the previous owner themselves, contacting your landlord if you’re renting or asking your estate agent to find out for you.

When it comes to water, this should be provided by your local council or city, so you won’t need to contact the previous occupant for this one. 

How do I change the title over?

When you first move in, remember to note down the numbers on the gas, electricity and water meters, so you can give these to the utility companies and they can record how much you should owe, instead of having to pay for the previous occupant’s consumption as well.

Next, you will then need to contact the energy company supplying your property or water provider and ask for a cambio de titular a nombre del arrendatario o comprador (ask for a change of ownership in the name of the renter or buyer).

The process should be completely free for electricity and gas, but in some cities, you may need to pay a deposit for changing the title of the water bill, which you should get back when you vacate the property. The deposit can be anywhere between €50 and €100.

Contacting the energy company by phone may be the best way to make sure everything is done correctly, but some companies also have online forms where you can request a title change. When it comes to water, most cities will have water offices you can visit or specific e-mail addresses if you can’t contact them over the phone. 

There are a few pieces of information you’ll need to have on hand before you contact the company. These are:

  • The full name of the previous person who had the bills in their name
  • Your NIE / DNI
  • The address of the property
  • The date you moved in
  • The CUPS code (not needed for water)
  • Your padrón certificate (for water only)
  • A copy of the deeds of the property or rental contract
  • Your bank details

With all this information, they should be able to change the name over on the account relatively quickly, so that any future energy bills will go directly to you.

At this time, you can also change your tariff or amount of energy contracted to suit your individual needs.

How do I find the CUPS code?

The CUPS code or Código Unificado del Punto de Suministro (Universal Supply Point Code) is a number that identifies each individual property that receives electricity or gas. The number doesn’t change, so you could ask the previous occupant for this as it will be written on their energy bills.

Alternatively, if this isn’t possible you can contact your energy distributor – these are assigned by area and stay the same. By giving them your name, address and ID number such as NIE, they will be able to give you the CUPS code associated with your property.

What if I want to change to a new energy company?

If you’d prefer not to contract the energy company that the previous owner had, you can also choose to go with a new one. In this case, you will still need all of the same information and numbers as above, but you will contact the energy provider of your choice and the type of tariff you want to pay.

How long will it take to change the name over?

It can take between 1 and 20 days for the bills to be changed over into your name. The previous occupant will receive their final bill and then you will receive the new one from the date you moved in.

What are some of the problems I might come up against?

The most common problem is when the previous occupant is not up to date on paying their bills and has some outstanding debt. In this case, if you try to change the title over into your name, you will also be inheriting the pervious owner’s debt.

In this case, you will have to get the previous occupant to pay their outstanding bill before you can change it over into your name. If you have problems getting them to pay their bill, then you can show proof of the date you moved in by sending in a copy of your deeds or rental contract. This should in theory allow for the transfer of ownership without having to take on the debt, however it can be tricky process, often calling the energy company multiple times and waiting for verification of the proof.

What if the energy services have been cut off?

In the case that the property has been uninhabited for some time, the previous owners may have deactivated or cut off the utilities. If this is the case, then you will need to call the energy providers to activate them again. This will typically involve paying several fees to be able to get them up and running. The amount you pay will depend on the energy distributor and where the property is based in Spain.