Hay 'spontaneously combusts' in heatwave
Emma Anderson · 1 Jul 2015, 11:10
Published: 01 Jul 2015 11:10 GMT+02:00
- Top ten tricks to survive the Spanish summer (10 Jun 16)
- How 'Spanish plume' set off a heatwave in the UK (01 Jul 15)
- Passengers stranded by thieves for hours in 40C (30 Jun 15)
- Spain on alert as nation swelters in 44C heatwave (29 Jun 15)
A barn in the small Cantabrian village of Setién caught on fire after bales of hay inside "spontaneously combusted" due to high temperatures, endangering the cows inside, local newspaper El Diario Montañés reported.
But the owners of the farm were able to corral the cattle safely out of the barn before firefighters arrived to douse the flames.
Regional councillor and town resident Daniel Fernández told El Diario Montañés that all evidence indicated the fire had been caused by the high temperatures.
The Spanish national weather office warned on Monday that the risk of forest fires was "very high" in some places.