Jihadi cell threat to Spanish royal family
Fiona Govan · 16 Mar 2015, 16:42
Published: 16 Mar 2015 16:42 GMT+01:00
- Two jihadists arrested in Ceuta planning attacks (10 Mar 15)
- Spain breaks up jihadist cell that recruited women (24 Feb 15)
- Spanish ice cream seller 'turns to jihad' (28 Jan 15)
- Jihadists hack Spanish home appliance website (16 Jan 15)
Spain’s interior minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz, confirmed on Monday that, during raids on suspected jihadists across Spain last week police had found handwritten documents containing threats against the royal family.
"Felipe of Spain will know what suffering is when his two daughters are under the rubble," the note said according to statements filed before magistrate Javier Gómez Bermúdez at the National Court, according to a report in La Razon.
The threat was perceived to have refered to King Felipe and his two young daughters, the Infanta Leonor, the nine-year-old heir to throne and the Infanta Sofia, 7.
Seven of the eight suspected members of a terrorist cell that were arrested in raids in various cities across Spain last Friday were remanded into custody on Sunday night following the hearing.
In statements given to it emerged that the paper was in the possession of the presumed ring leader of the group.
"The text is very unpleasant and shows the extent of radicalization of these people," judicial sources told the newspaper.
The jihadist cell used social media networks to recruit and radicalize and to spread "terror propaganda".
The interior minister said on Monday while on a trip to Ceuta, one of Spain’s north African enclave’s that some 80 percent of those rounded up in recent operations against terrorism were "operating in the service of the Islamic State," according to El Mundo newspaper.