Renting For Members

How to apply for Spain's €250 rent bonus for under-35s in 2024

Esme Fox
Esme Fox - [email protected]
How to apply for Spain's €250 rent bonus for under-35s in 2024
You can benefit from this aid whether you live alone or share a flat. (Photo by Ina FASSBENDER / AFP)

The Spanish government has extended the young person's rental bonus for 2024. Find out if you're eligible to apply for for the monthly €250 housing aid and how to apply.

Looking to move? Find your next rental apartment here.


The Spanish government approved the Young Person's Rental Bonus scheme initially at the beginning of 2022, but it's been extended into 2024, and if you're under the age of 35 and a mid-to-low earner, you could benefit from it this year. 

The aid is set at €250 per month for a period of two years for each person, as long as they have a regular source of income and their income doesn't exceed €25,200 (spread across 14 payments) per year.

Its aim is to help young people in Spain move out of their parent's houses and live on their own.

Recently, Spain's Minister of Housing and Urban Agenda, Isabel Rodríguez, announced that the government will the amount of aid, which is currently set at €200 million per year, to ensure that "more young people "can benefit" from aid aimed at helping those under 35 years of age to pay their rent.

Rodríguez did not yet reveal how much the budget has been increased to, but did indicate that the monthly amount would stay at €250 per month. 

According to the latest data available from the Spanish Youth Council (CJE) only 16.3 percent of young people under the age of 30 have moved out of home and the rest still live with their parents. 

According to the council, taking the average amount that those under 35 earn in Spain, young people would have to spend 93.9 percent of their net salary on rent alone. 


Who is eligible to apply for the aid?  

In order to apply for the scheme and be granted the €250 monthly aid you must:

  • Must be between ages 18 and 35

  • Have a regular source of income. However, this cannot exceed three times the amount of the IPREM, which for 2024 is €600, meaning a total of €1,800 per month.

  • The amount of rent paid cannot exceed €600 per month or €300 for a room, although regions with particularly high rents that wish to extend it to €900 or €450 (for a room) per month can do so.
  • The grant must be used to rent a place in which you as the beneficiary live in. In other words, you can’t sublet it.  

    Failure to comply with just one of these points means that you will not be entitled to the benefit.

How much will I receive? 

The maximum amount you can receive is €250 per month. The payments can only be used for the purpose of renting accommodation and nothing else. 

Can I benefit from the rental aid if I'm already receiving other benefits? 

Yes, the bonus is compatible with other benefits of the State Plan for Access to Housing 2022-2025.

If you do receive different two types of benefits, the amount received will be up to 40 percent of the difference between the rent of the home and the aid, with the joint limit (the sum of the two subsidies) equalling 75 percent of rental income.

You will also be able to continue to receive other types of social bonds such as the Minimum Vital Income (IMV) and other non-contributory Social Security benefits.


What if I rent a room in a shared apartment? 

You can benefit from this aid whether you live alone or share a flat. In fact, if you are sharing an apartment with others, all housemates can also request this help individually, as long as they meet the requirements.

In the case of renting a room, the maximum rent will be set at €300, although each region may raise this limit to €450 if they want to. 

How can I apply for the aid?

The aid is managed individually by the authorities in each region, who will also take on the job of organising the applications. This means that deadlines will depend on where you live. 

You can apply either in person at the housing offices in each region or online by using your Digital Certificate.  

READ ALSO - Access all areas: how to get a digital certificate in Spain to aid online processes

To apply online, you must follow this link and find the corresponding page on your local government's website.

After reading through to check that you meet all the requirements, you can click on the box in the bottom left-hand corner which says ‘Enlaces a Comunidades Autónomas’ or ‘Links to Autonomous Communities’. 

From here, you simply need to click on your region, where you will be taken to a regional website and given further instructions.



Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also