For members


Reader question: Can I move into a Spanish care home as a foreigner?

Many people move to Spain to enjoy the retirement dream in the sun, but what happens if you become ill and can no longer live independently?

Spanish care home
What happens if you need to go into a care home in Spain? Photo: OSCAR DEL POZO / AFP

Reader question: What happens if someone moves to Spain and then needs to go into a care home because of old age or illness? Who pays? Does it make a difference if you worked in Spain and paid into the Spanish system, or if you moved here after retirement?

This is a common question for people who retired in Spain from abroad and those who worked here and want to retire in Spain too.

According to a new study from, Spain is one of the world’s most searched for retirement destinations and is the world’s sixth most popular country to retire in.

Per the latest statistics from the Spanish authorities from 2019, 38.7 percent of foreign residents in Spain from the EU were of retirement age and 33.9 percent were from Europe, but not an EU country.

This means that as well as having to provide services for the elderly Spanish population it is necessary to provide them for the foreign population too.

According to real estate giant Knight Frank in its latest European care homes report, “By 2050, Spain will have the second-highest share of people over the age of 80 in the world, surpassed only by Japan”. 

So what happens when you can no longer take care of yourself – what rights do you have to access Spanish care homes and will you have to pay for it all?

The good news is that there are no specific rules preventing foreign nationals from living in a Spanish care home – provided they have the legal right to reside in Spain. This means being from an EU country, protected under the Withdrawal Agreement if you are British and moved before Brexit, or have the appropriate visa for third-country nationals. 

Traditionally, the care of the elderly in Spain has been taken over by family members who become full-time caregivers so Spain has a less developed care home market than other countries such as the UK.

According to Knight Frank’s European care homes report, Spain and Italy only spend 0.9 percent of GDP on long-term care provision. 

That being said, there are several different care home options in Spain, some of which even have specifically been set up by foreigners. For example, the Norwegian government has created several care homes in Spain for its citizens who have retired abroad.

There are several different types of care homes for the elderly in Spain, depending on the type of level of care that you need. These include: 

Residental care home – Residencia para personas mayors/ancianos

Nursing home – Residencia con servicos de asistencia médica

Hospice – Centro de cuidados paliativos

Retirement housing – Viviendas aptas para jubilados

Who pays?

According to Info Residencias, the website for geriatric assistance in Spain, if you need to enter a care home in Spain, you should go to the social services of your town hall (ayuntamiento).

They will consider your health, economic and social situation and will decide if you are eligible to be sent to a care home or if you should be provided with care at home instead.

If you are deemed eligible, they will assign you either a place in a public or private residence, depending on your financial situation.  

If you recently retired to Spain and have not worked or paid into the social security system however, it is unlikely that you will be placed in a public care home and will probably have to pay for a place in a private care home.  

Info Residencias says that “a private residence for the elderly in a large city ranges from approximately €1,400 to more than €2,500 per month. Outside of the big cities, the prices may be somewhat lower, but not much more”. 

While Knight Franks writes in its report that Spanish care home fees range from €1,800 to €2,200 a month, depending on the region and quality of accommodation.

How can you pay?


If your pension plan is enough to cover the cost of the care home fees, then they will usually be paid for that way.

There are however several other ways of paying for care homes suggested by the Spanish authorities. These include:

Reverse Mortgage

The Reverse Mortgage (hipotecas revertidas) is a loan for people over 65 who own a home in Spain. Financial entities or insurance companies will typically pay you a monthly income which is secured against your home. 

However, one downside to this is that if more costs and debts rack up, then you could lose your home and won’t be able to pass it on to your children.

Programa Pensium

Another way that your home can be used to help pay for a care home is through the Programa Pensium. If you sign up for the programme, your home will be rented out, and contributions made for you on top of that towards your care. The management of the rental of your property will also be taken care of so that your family doesn’t have to worry about this as well. 

This way you get to keep your home and your family can do with it what they want when you pass away. It also gives you flexibility, allowing to you cancel the program at any time. 


Certain benefits that cover care costs are not available to non-EU citizens who have never worked or paid social security in Spain.

The UK Government does not have any reciprocal arrangements to cover overseas residential or nursing care for Brits living in Spain, so you will not be able to rely on help from back home, but will be able to use your pension from the UK if you receive it in Spain. 

READ ALSO: How Americans can retire in Spain

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


How to find temporary accommodation in Spain when you first arrive

One of the most common questions people moving to Spain ask is where they can rent temporary accommodation while looking for somewhere more permanent. This can be particularly tricky, but we've found some of the best places to look.

How to find temporary accommodation in Spain when you first arrive

So you’ve sorted out your visas, you’ve done all your packing and have either sold or moved out of your home, but when you arrive in Spain you’re not exactly sure where you’re going to stay.  

Of course, it’s not the best idea to sign a contract ahead of time for a more permanent place before you’ve actually seen it in person. Photos don’t always accurately represent what the house or apartment looks like in reality and you won’t really be able to get a feel for the neighbourhood without being there. 

On top of this, rental scams are rife in some places in Spain, particularly in the bigger more popular cities like Barcelona. Often people will place an ad (which usually looks too good to be true) and get you to wire over a deposit to secure it in advance, but here’s the catch – the place doesn’t usually exist.

This is why it’s important to never hand over money to secure a place to live in Spain before you’ve actually seen it in person and you can get the keys as soon as you sign the contract.

But, finding a place to live in a new country can be difficult and it can take time, so while you look for somewhere, you’re going to need temporary accommodation for a couple of months. This can be tricky too because often temporary accommodation is geared towards tourists and you’ll be paying tourist prices too.

While Idealista and Fotocasa are two of the most popular sites to look for accommodation in Spain, when you only want somewhere for a couple of months, there’s no point looking there, as most places will have yearly contracts.

Keep in mind with short-term rentals for a couple of months, you’re going to be paying higher than the average monthly rent, however, for this, the apartments are usually fully furnished, including kitchen utensils, wi-fi already connected and offer you the flexibility of shorter contracts.

Short-term rental agencies

Specialised short-term rental agencies are the best way to go, which will allow you to sign contacts for less than the typical one year. These types of agencies are usually found in Spain’s big cities that are popular with foreigners, such as Madrid and Barcelona.

Trying searching in Spanish too by typing alquiler de temporada or alquiler temporal plus the name of the city or town you’re looking in. This way you may be able to find places that offer better value. 


In Barcelona, check out aTemporal an agency that started up precisely to fix the problem of trying to find accommodation in-between tourist accommodation and long-term rentals. They rent out apartments for anywhere from 32 days to 11 months.

ShBarcelona is another agency that specialises in these types of rentals and have properties all over the city.

READ ALSO – Moving to Barcelona: A guide to the best neighbourhoods to live in


In Madrid, try DFLAT, which was created by two professionals from the Instituto de Empresa University after discovering the difficulties professionals and foreigners found when looking for an apartment in Madrid. Sh also has a good branch in Madrid.  


In Valencia, Dasha Living Space has both short and long-term fully furnished flats available and  Valenvi Flats also offers rentals for between three and six months.

READ ALSO – Moving to Valencia: A guide to the best neighbourhoods to live in


While the nightly rate of Airbnb apartments is typically too expensive to rent for a couple of months, you may be able to find some deals. Often when you input dates for a month into Airbnb, you’ll find that several places have a monthly discount offered. Also, some owners will do a deal for a couple of months. If it’s winter for example and they know they’re not going to get many tourists anyway, they may be willing to negotiate.


Like Airbnb, the properties on Vrbo are rented out directly by the owners. While the site is also mainly focused on tourists, some owners may negotiate outside of the tourist season.


If you’re willing to try something a little bit different, then housesitting could be the way to go. This is where you live in somebody’s house for free, in exchange for looking after their pets and their property.

Often people only need someone for a few days, but sometimes you’ll see house sits available for a month or longer. This is perhaps a better option for those who are flexible on where they might want to live and are trying out a few different places. It’s also better for those wanting to live in smaller towns or villages rather than the bigger cities, as there are fewer postings for these popular locations. Trusted Housesitters and Mind My House are good options.