For members


What Americans need to know about bringing their pets to Europe

Planning a move from the United States to the European Union is hard enough for human beings - but don’t underestimate the time and logistics required to get your cat or dog across the Atlantic, too. Here's everything you need to know.

Two passengers look at a cat in a travel bag at an airport.
How to bring your cat or dog to the EU from the United States Photo: Iakovos Hatzistavrou / AFP


The paperwork required for your dog or cat to travel to Europe with you is the biggest hurdle. A misstep here could derail your travel plans altogether or leave your pet stranded in an airport quarantine facility. 

  1. As soon as possible: Find a USDA accredited veterinarian authorised to issue an EU health certificate for international pet travel (search for one in your area here). Ask them to review the country-specific requirements of your destination—these can differ slightly but are largely the same across the EU. Your pet will need to be current on their rabies vaccinations and have an ISO-compliant microchip or legible code tattoo.
  2. 30 days before departure: Schedule an appointment with the USDA accredited vet to conduct the health check for the EU health certificate. These are only valid for 30 days, so you can’t get a head start on this step. Your veterinarian can fill out the health certificate online through the APHIS portal. Double-check to confirm the microchip number in your paperwork matches the number displayed on the reader in the vet’s office.
  3. 10 days before departure: Get your pet’s health certificate endorsed by your regional APHIS Veterinary Services Endorsement Office. Some states have several of these offices, and some have none—if yours is nearby, call ahead to see if in-person, same day endorsement appointments are available. If not, you’ll need to pay in advance for return shipping to receive the original document before your departure—you need the original with inked signatures and embossed stamps to enter the EU. You’ll also need to pay the endorsement fee, $38. The endorsement must be completed no earlier than 10 days before your departure.
  4. Day of departure: Bring the EU health certificate, the original APHIS endorsement, and, if your pet’s microchip isn’t ISO compliant, your own microchip reader in your carry-on luggage. Present this at your final destination—go through the “something to declare” line in customs.    

Carry-on or Cargo?

Small pets—generally under 8 kg or 17 lbs—can ride in the cabin with you, while bigger animals will need to travel in the cargo hold. But since the pandemic began, both Delta and United airlines have suspended the travel of pets in DeltaCargo and United PetSafe travel respectively. American Airlines only allows active-duty military to check pets.

When pets are allowed to travel by cargo, they need an additional airline-specific certification from a vet that they’re healthy enough to fly (as a generally rule, brachycephalic or snub-nosed breeds—like pugs, bulldogs, or Persian cats—can’t travel in the hold). Your airline will provide requirements for carriers allowed in the cargo hold. Pets can’t fly in cargo if it’s too hot or cold in your departure, destination or connecting airports, so be careful if you plan to travel in high summer or winter.

Airlines and plane tickets

Forget the points, because your preferred airline may not be the best choice for this long haul with your pet. Airlines charge for pet tickets whether they’re in the cabin with you or in the hold—these range from about $100 to $200. Your seat selections may also be limited since bulkheads and first-class seats don’t always accommodate carriers.

  • Book your tickets by phone. Many airlines don’t allow you to book plane tickets online when you’re travelling with your pet. This is because there are stringent requirements for carriers and a limited number of pets allowed per flight.
  • Review carrier requirements with agent. If you plan to travel with your pet in the cabin, the customer service agent will check the underseat dimensions for each leg of your flight (note that the maximum allowable size for the pet carrier is often smaller than the underseat dimensions listed on any plane specs you might find online). If you’re flying with multiple airlines—even partners like Delta and AirFrance—you’ll likely have to repeat this process with the partner airline as well. You may need to submit the dimensions of your carrier and sometimes even pictures for approval.
  • Links to pet travel guides for major airlines

Carry-on carriers

Your cat or dog will be stowed under the seat in front of you. A rule of thumb is your pet needs to be able to stand, turn around, and sit comfortably while in the carrier under the seat. Some airlines demand a soft-sided carrier, while others allow hard carriers. Several sides of the carrier will need ventilation.

The runaway favorite carrier for in-cabin pets is the Sherpa Original or Sherpa Deluxe⁠ — it’s the Wirecutter’s pick and has nearly 11,000 5-star reviews on Amazon. It’s designed to match the requirements of most major airlines. 

To sedate or tranquilize?   

The Federal Aviation Administration advises against sedatives for pets since their effects on animals at high elevations are poorly studied, and some drugs can have a stimulating effect (which will only heighten your pet’s anxieties, or make them respond aggressively). Do not sedate or tranquilize your pet for the first time during air travel, even if the medication is prescribed by your vet. If you’re worried about your pet’s nerves, remember a bad reaction to medication—or an overdose—will be much more traumatic.

Pets travelling in the cargo hold can’t be sedated or tranquilized and won’t be allowed to fly if they appear groggy or disoriented.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


How Europe plans to ease long-term residence rules for non-EU nationals

Non-EU citizens living in the European Union are eligible for a special residence status that allows them to move to another country in the bloc. Getting the permit is not simple but may get easier, explains Claudia Delpero.

How Europe plans to ease long-term residence rules for non-EU nationals

The European Commission proposed this week to simplify residence rules for non-EU nationals who live on a long-term basis in the European Union.

The intention is to ease procedures in three areas: acquiring EU long-term residence status, moving to other EU countries and improving the rights of family members. 

But the new measures will have to be approved by the European Parliament and the EU Council, which is made of national ministers. Will EU governments support them?

What is EU long-term residence?

Non-EU citizens who live in EU countries on a long-term basis are eligible for long-term residence status, nationally and at the EU level. 

This EU status can be acquired if the person has lived ‘legally’ in an EU country for at least five years, has not been away for more than 6 consecutive months and 10 months over the entire period, and can prove to have “stable and regular economic resources” and health insurance. Applicants can also be required to meet “integration conditions”, such as passing a test on the national language or culture knowledge. 

The EU long-term residence permit is valid for at least five years and is automatically renewable. But the status can be lost if the holder leaves the EU for more than one year (the EU Court of Justice recently clarified that being physically in the EU for a few days in a 12-month period is enough to maintain the status).

READ ALSO: IN NUMBERS: How many non-EU citizens live in European Union countries?

Long-term residence status grants equal treatment to EU nationals in areas such as employment and self-employment or education. In addition, EU long-term residence grants the possibility to move to other EU countries under certain conditions. 

What does the European Commission want to change?

The European Commission has proposed to make it easier to acquire EU long-term residence status and to strengthen the rights associated with it. 

Under new measures, non-EU citizens should be able to cumulate residence periods in different EU countries to reach the 5-year requirement, instead of resetting the clock at each move. 

This, however, will not apply to individuals who used a ‘residence by investment’ scheme to gain rights in the EU, as the Commission wants to “limit the attractiveness” of these routes and not all EU states offer such schemes. 

All periods of legal residence should be fully counted towards the 5 years, including those spent as students, beneficiaries of temporary protection or on temporary grounds. Stays under a short-term visa do not count.

Children who are born or adopted in the EU country having issued the EU long-term residence permit to their parents should acquire EU long-term resident status in that country automatically, without residence requirement, the Commission added.

READ ALSO: Why it may get easier for non-EU citizens to move to another European Union country

EU countries should also avoid imposing a minimum income level for the resources condition but consider the applicant’s individual circumstances, the Commission suggests.

Integration tests should not be too burdensome or expensive, nor should they be requested for long-term residents’ family reunifications. 

The Commission also proposed to extend from 12 to 24 months the possibility to leave the EU without losing status, with facilitated procedures (no integration test) for the re-acquisition of status after longer absences.

A person who has already acquired EU long-term residence status in one EU country should only need three years to acquire the same status in another EU member state. But the second country could decide whether to wait the completion of the five years before granting social benefits. 

The proposal also clarifies that EU long-term residents should have the same right as EU nationals with regard to the acquisition of private housing and the export of pensions, when moving to a third country. 

Why make these changes?

Although EU long-term residence exists since 2006, few people have benefited. “The long-term residents directive is under-used by the member states and does not provide for an effective right to mobility within the EU,” the Commission says. 

Around 3.1 million third-country nationals held long-term residence permits for the EU in 2017, compared to 7.1 million holding a national one. “we would like to make the EU long-term residence permit more attractive,” said European Commissioner for Home Affairs Ylva Johansson.

The problems are the conditions to acquire the status, too difficult to meet, the barriers faced when moving in the EU, the lack of consistency in the rights of long-term residents and their family members and the lack of information about the scheme.

Most EU member states continue to issue “almost exclusively” national permits unless the applicant explicitly asks for the EU one, an evaluation of the directive has shown.

READ ALSO: Pensions in the EU: What you need to know if you’re moving country

This proposal is part of a package to “improve the EU’s overall attractiveness to foreign talent”, address skill shortages and facilitate integration in the EU labour market of people fleeing Ukraine. 

On 1 January 2021, 23.7 million non-EU nationals were residing in the EU, representing 5.3% of the total population. Between 2.25 to 3 million non-EU citizens move to the EU every year. More than 5 million people have left Ukraine for neighbouring states since the beginning of the war in February. 

Will these measures also apply to British citizens?

These measures also apply to British citizens, whether they moved to an EU country before or after Brexit. 

The European Commission has recently clarified that Britons living in the EU under the Withdrawal Agreement can apply for a long-term residence too.

As Britons covered by the Withdrawal Agreement have their residence rights secured only in the country where they lived before Brexit, the British in Europe coalition recommended those who need mobility rights to seek EU long-term residence status. 

These provisions do not apply in Denmark and Ireland, which opted out of the directive.

What happens next?

The Commission proposals will have to be discussed and agreed upon by the European Parliament and Council. This is made of national ministers, who decide by qualified majority. During the process, the proposals can be amended or even scrapped. 

In 2021, the European Parliament voted through a resolution saying that third-country nationals who are long-term residents in the EU should have the right to reside permanently in other EU countries, like EU citizens. The Parliament also called for the reduction of the residency requirement to acquire EU long-term residence from five to three years.

READ ALSO: COMPARE: Which EU countries grant citizenship to the most people?

EU governments will be harder to convince. However, presenting the package, Commission Vice-President for Promoting our European Way of Life, Margaritis Schinas, said proposals are likely to be supported because “they fit in a broader framework”, which represents the “construction” of the “EU migration policy”. 

National governments are also likely to agree because large and small employers face skill shortages, “especially in areas that are key to our competitiveness, like agri-food, digital, tourism, healthcare… we need people,” Schinas said.

The article is published in cooperation with Europe Street News, a news outlet about citizens’ rights in the EU and the UK.