BREXIT: Where can Brits in Spain get help with residency applications?

The Local Spain
The Local Spain - [email protected]
BREXIT: Where can Brits in Spain get help with residency applications?
Photo: AFP

As the end of the transition periods nears, it is more important that ever to secure your rights and register legally as a Briton living in Spain. But if you're worried about the process, there is help at hand.


New residency card process

On July 6th, UK citizens registering as residents in Spain started to be issued with the highly anticipated TIE residence cards.

A TIE is a “Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero”, an identity card for foreigners which is issued to non-EU residents in Spain.

Although the document may be a reminder for Britons in Spain that they will soon cease to be EU citizens, the TIE also acts as a guarantee that they will hold on to the same rights relating to residency, free movement and social security in the country they've made their home.

These rights will be guaranteed for their family members, even those from non-EU countries, as long as they are already registered or do so before December 31st 2020.

READ MORE - Q&A: What Brits in Spain need to know about the new Brexit-friendly residency card

Difficulties reported

It has  become increasingly difficult to secure an appointment at the extranjeria or foreigners office to begin the process to formalise residency.

There is also a certain amount of confusion around whether or it is best to swap your green resident certificates for the new TIE.

But here's a reminder that for UK citizens who have registered as residents in Spain and are already in possession of a green A4 residency certificate or a small green residency card, the TIE card is optional.


Photo: AFP



The Local

We have created a series of articles around the issue of residency in Spain and we are also happy to answer questions from our members on specific topics.

Q&A: What Brits in Spain need to know about the new Brexit-friendly residency card

If we don't already know the answer then we will do our best to find out.

You can also find a lot more detail on residency, healthcare, travel and pensions in our Preparing for Brexit section.

UK-funded organisations

The British government has provided funding to three organisations in Spain to offer help and support Brits with the process. If you don't have internet access or don't feel confident completing the form online they can even do it for you if you don't have friends or family who would be able to help.

If you or someone you know may have difficulty completing the paperwork, you can contact them using the details below to discuss how they may be able to help you.


These organisations are:

IOM – The International Organisation for Migration (Andalusia, Madrid and Murcia). You can visit the IOM Spain website here, email them at [email protected] or call one of their helplines:  Andalusia: +34 650 339 754, Madrid: +34 699 581 855, Murcia: +34 648 642 543, all available Mon to Thurs, 3.30pm to 5pm

If you are in Valencia you can seek help from Babelia by visiting their website here emailing [email protected] or on the helpline: +34 865 820 229 available Mon to Fri, 9am to 2pm

Age in Spain are helping those in Catalonia and the Balearic Islands. Visit the Age in Spain website hereor email: [email protected], fill out the contact form hereor call the helpline: +34 932 20 97 41 available Mon to Fri, 11am to 1pm

Additionally if you’d rather see someone in person then Age in Catalonia is running three pop up events at A Taste of Home shops in Barcelona, Sitges and Cubelles at the end of October and into November. 

Are you a UK National that needs help getting residency in Spain sorted out? Age in Spain can help! We will be at A...

Posted by A Taste of Home - The English Supermarket on Monday, 19 October 2020

British Embassy

The British Embassy has also been running information and support campaigns for British people living in Spain. Due to the coronavirus situation the Embassy's roadshows have had to cease, but they are still doing live Q&A sessions via their Facebook page and remain available for help.

The Embassy can also take up cases if anyone has been turned down for residency and needs help in appealing. 


If you really can't face the process and just want someone else to do it for you then many gestors offer residency card/visa services and are often able to secure appointments when it’s seemingly impossible for everyone else.

Be warned however, you will have to pay extra for their help and will still have to find all the relevant paperwork yourself so that the agent can make the application on your behalf. 

READ MORE:  What does a 'gestor' do in Spain and why you'll need one

More information:

  • Spain's government has a dedicated Brexit page for UK nationals HERE
  • Check out the UK Foreign Office latest advice on Living In Spain HERE 
  • Follow the British Embassy Facebook page for updates as well as Live Q&A sessions HERE
  • Check our Brexit section for all the latest news and updates: HERE


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also