A message to Brits in Spain from the ambassador and Spanish authorities

Author thumbnail
AFP/The Local - [email protected]
A message to Brits in Spain from the ambassador and Spanish authorities

The British Ambassador to Madrid and the Spanish secretary of state for migration launched a joint message for UK nationals living in Spain about the new residency card.


HMA Hugh Elliott and Hanna Jalloul sought to provide reassurance about the new card which came into operation last week. 

You can view the video here .  

They said the green residency certificate (whether A4 or credit card sized) remains valid proof of residency status under the Withdrawal Agreement, even after the end of the transition period. 

HMA Elliott reminded British residents of their rights under the Withdrawal Agreement. 

“You will be able to continue to live and work in Spain,” he said.

“UK state pensioners will continue to have lifelong healthcare access as long as they remain living in Spain (this also applies to residents who claim a UK state pension in the future) and your UK state pension will continue to be uprated. That’s why it is so important that you register as a resident as soon as possible.”


Speaking about the introduction of the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE) Hanna Jalloul said: “If you already have a green residency certificate, you don’t have to apply for a new status as a resident in Spain, and the documents you already have as an EU resident in Spain remain valid.

"And most importantly, as long as you are legally resident in Spain before 31 December your rights are guaranteed. . . I encourage anyone who does not yet have your residency certificate to apply to the immigration authorities as soon as you can.”

The Ministerio de Inclusión, Seguridad Social y Migraciones has published a comprehensive Q&A document (in both English and Spanish) to provide answers to the questions UK Nationals may have about their residency status and the new process.

You can find the document here. The British Embassy is updating its Living in Spain guide ( to reflect the new residency process and will be providing further information on


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

Anonymous 2020/08/06 13:55
If you are British, Its the first one - Stephanie.
Anonymous 2020/07/16 15:41
I am also registered as an Autonoma, I am not sure if that makes a difference.
Anonymous 2020/07/16 15:37
Hello, <br /><br />I have been in Spain for 6 years but I don't have the green certificate or card, but I do have NIE (number). It's a long story which I won't bore you with now. I have made an appointment to get the TIE on Tuesday as from what I understand, without one of the 'green' documents, I need a TIE. Anyway, as always, I don't understand the form! Under "DATOS RELATIVOS A LA SOLICITUD (7) - 4.2 SITUACIÓN EN ESPAÑA<br />I believe I'd be one of the following two. Do you know? I really do not want to F it up this time. <br />□ RESIDENCIA INICIAL (sin certificado de registro o TIE previas)<br />□ RESIDENCIA CON CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO DE CIUDADANO DE LA UNIÓN<br /><br />I'd really appreciate your help.

See Also