A mandatory 14-day quarantine rule for new arrivals in Spain has been in place since May 15th even though a travel ban means only those Spanish citizens, legal residents or those with legitimate work reasons can enter the country at all.
The measure proved controversial with neighbouring immediately announcing a reciprocal quarantine rule for anyone entering from Spain and tourism chiefs warning that it would put serve to further discourage tourists from planning a visit.
So on Monday it was announced that the measure would come to an end in July.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Arancha González Laya tweeted:
The worst is behind us. In JULY we will
➡️ gradually open ?? to international tourists
➡️ lift the quarantine
➡️ ensure the highest standards of health safety
— Arancha González (@AranchaGlezLaya) May 25, 2020
The news comes in the wake of an announcement by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez on Saturday that Spain was preparing to kickstart its tourism sector and welcome visitors from July.
“I am announcing to you that from the month of July, entry for foreign tourists into Spain will resume in secure conditions,” Sanchez told a press conference.
Reaffirming the importance of tourism to the Spanish economy, Sanchez said the country would again be ready to welcome visitors in the summer.
“As you know, Spain receives more than 80 million visitors a year. I am announcing that from July.
“Foreign tourists can also start planning their holidays in our country.
“Spain needs tourism, and tourism needs safety in both origin and destination. We will guarantee that tourists will not run any risks, nor will they bring any risk to our country.”
Sanchez said Spanish authorities had been coordinating the reopening of borders for weeks prior to the announcement.
“We’re sending everyone a message today: Spain will be waiting for you from July,” Sanchez said.
Sanchez also reassured domestic travellers that they too would be welcomed and should start planning their trips for the summer.