The woman, who is a resident in Catalonia and had recently returned from a trip to northern Italy, has been admitted in Barcelona’s Hospital Clinic where she is being treated in isolation.
Authorities said she was 36-year-old Italian citizen living in Barcelona who visited the Bergamo and Milan area of northern Italy between February 12th and 22nd.
At a press conference, Joan Guix the secretary of public health in the region said the patient had contacted health authorities on Monday evening after experiencing flu-like symptoms. A subsequent test confirmed the coronavirus.
The Generalitat said it has “activated coronavirus protocol” to deal with the case but urged calm.
Guic reminded the public that “80 of the cases (of coronavirus) were classified as minor, only 15 percent are serious and just 2 percent critical,” he said.
Those who are at most risk from the virus are the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions, he said.
The news comes a day after an Italian man tested positive for the virus on the Canary Island of Tenerife, where the hotel in which he is staying has been put on lock down. His wife also tested postive on Tuesday afternoon, authorities in the Canary Islands confirmed bringing the total number of confirmed cases within Spain to five.
Two other patients who have subsequently been given the all clear- one on the Canary Island of La Gomera and the other in Mallorca – and discharged from hospital.
- UPDATE: What we know so far about coronavirus in Spain
- Coronavirus: Is it still safe to go on holiday in Tenerife?
- Tenerife hotel remains on lockdown after four Italian guests test postive to coronavirus
- Police at the door and staff in masks: Welcome to life under lockdown at Tenerife's 'coronavirus hotel'