SHARE
COPY LINK

CHILDREN

Toddler dies after father ‘forgets’ her in locked car and catches train to work

A tragic oversight by a distracted father has resulted in the death of a 21-month-old girl in the Sanchinaro district of Madrid.

Toddler dies after father 'forgets' her in locked car and catches train to work
Photo: spe_dep/Depositphotos

According to reports, it was the father’s turn to do the school run, which involved taking his three older children to school before dropping off the youngest daughter at nursery, parking and catching the train to work.

But when the child’s mother arrived at nursery at 3.30pm to collect her youngest daughter, she was told that she had not been dropped off that morning.

The mother made a panicked call to the father and the horrible truth emerged. He had left the child locked in the car all day after parking outside the nursery and catching the tram to work in nearby Las Tablas.

The mother rushed from the nursery to locate the car, a Hyundai Santa Fe, where she discovered her daughter unconscious inside.

Emergency services were called but despite great efforts – and attempts to resuscitate lasting 45 minutes – the child was declared dead at the scene.

Police confirmed that a 43-year-old Spaniard had been detained and questioned over the incident but later released.

A judge will decide whether he should face charges of “reckless homicide”.

A local at the scene said that the car had tinted windows which “prevented passers-by from seeing in and raising the alarm”.

READ ALSO: Safety warning over tablets in cars after child’s death in Galicia

SCHOOL

Spain issues warning as child hand sanitizer poisoning cases spike

The number of children treated in Spain for accidental poisonings after ingesting hand sanitising gels has soared during the pandemic, the government said Wednesday, urging parents to keep the products out of reach.

Spain issues warning as child hand sanitizer poisoning cases spike
Photos: AFP

There have been 874 reported cases of intoxications from hand sanitising gels so far this year, compared to just 90 during all of 2019, the National Toxicological and Forensic Sciences Institute, a unit of the justice ministry, said in a statement.   

Two-thirds of the cases involved children, especially those under the age of two. The vast majority swallowed the hand-sanitiser although some became intoxicated after getting the product in their eyes or inhaling it.

 

No fatalities have been reported and over 80 percent the poisoning victims recovered “in a short time”, the institute said.   

The most common symptoms were, vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing, blurred vision and red eyes.

In a video message posted on Twitter, Justice Minister Juan Carlos Campo called the figures “alarming” and urged parents to “keep hand-sanitising gels out of reach of children and insist that its use to disinfect hands always be supervised by an adult”.

Como ministro de Justicia, pero también como padre, me preocupan los datos de intoxicaciones por gel hidroalcohólico en niños que ha difundido hoy el @INTCFjusticia. Mantengamos estos productos fuera del alcance de los más pequeños. Protejámonos, protejámosles. pic.twitter.com/F5QGPKvX2T

— Juan Carlos Campo (@Jccampm) October 14, 2020

As in other European countries, used of hand-sanitising gels has soared in Spain to curb the spread of Covid-19.

The country has become of the pandemic's hotspots in the European Union, with close to 910,000 registered cases and over 33,000 deaths.

READ ALSO: What happens when there is a Covid-19 outbreak at a school in Spain?

SHOW COMMENTS