SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

British father arrested in Spain after attacking his sleeping son with a hammer

A 70-year-old British man has been remanded into custody by a judge in Denia on Spain’s Costa Blanca for attempting to kill his son with a hammer as he slept.

British father arrested in Spain after attacking his sleeping son with a hammer
Photo: Irochka/Depositphotos

The 20-year-old victim was sleeping in his bed when his father repeatedly hit him over the head with a hammer. When his mother attempted to stop the brutal attack, her husband turned on her.

Police were called to their residence outside the Costa Blanca town of Denia on Sunday morning after neighbours heard screaming and saw the man struggling his wife in the doorway of their home.

When police reached the property they said they found the aggressor covered in blood and still carrying the hammer.

A trail of blood led officers to the bedroom where they found the couple’s son lying in bed with “serious head wounds”, according to a statement from the National Police.

He was taken to hospital where his injuries are described as “serious but not life threatening”. His mother was also treated for injuries.

The suspect, who has not been named, was remanded into custody without bail on Wednesday by a magistrate at court in Dénia and could face charges of attempted murder.

Although no motive for the attack has yet been given, investigators are considering the possibility that the aggressor “suffered a psychotic episode”.

According to news agency Efe, the couple and their son were not on holiday but had been living in the area for at least five months.

READ ALSO: German retiree fed to dog by wife in Mallorca

CRIME

Man sets himself ablaze outside Morocco consulate in Madrid

A man was seriously injured after setting himself on fire outside the Moroccan consulate in Madrid on Tuesday, police and diplomatic sources told AFP.

Man sets himself ablaze outside Morocco consulate in Madrid

It took place in a northeastern district of the Spanish capital at around midday and the man was taken to hospital in a serious condition, the emergency services said.

“We treated a man who had suffered serious burns and took him to La Paz hospital,” an emergency services spokesman told AFP.

Police sources confirmed the man “had set himself on fire outside the Moroccan consulate” but were unable to give further details.

Details of the incident were confirmed by a Moroccan diplomatic source.

“The person set himself on fire next to the consulate. We have no idea why
he did it. It happened very quickly,” the source told AFP.

“There was no contact with the consulate, it happened just outside.”

Unconfirmed media reports said the man was a Moroccan national in his 40s,
with an eyewitness telling Spain’s RTVE public television he saw what happened
while driving past.

“I saw him running and there were people behind him trying to pull his clothes off,” said the witness, who gave his name as Rasheed, adding that he saw someone running over with a fire extinguisher to try and put out the flames.

“From the way the flames were starting from his head, I think he had poured
petrol over himself.”

SHOW COMMENTS