SHARE
COPY LINK

SCHOOL

Madrid school in sexism row over knitting for girls and football for boys

A school in the Madrid suburb of Alcorcón is being investigated after it emerged that while boys were offered an extracurricular trip to the Real Madrid stadium, female pupils were offered crochet classes.

Madrid school in sexism row over knitting for girls and football for boys
Photo: belchonock/Depositphotos

The Madrid regional education department, which funds the privately run Juan Pablo II Catholic school , said inspectors will be dispatched to the school to  investigate claims of sexual  discrimination.

The school is part of the Educatio Servanda chain of institutions, and is one of 18 government-subsidized private schoolsin the Madrid region that segregates the sexes.

Claims made on Cadena SER radio station include the fact that the school offered boys-only trips to the Santiago Bernabéu stadium while the girls outing was a visit to a soup kitchen for the poor.

READ ALSO: Police seize anti-trans campaign bus declaring 'boys have penises'

It was also claimed that a lunchtime crochet class was offered exclusively for  girls. The school could face fines if it is found that it breached the regulation that boys and girls must be given the same opportunities at school.

Juan Carlos Corvera, chairman of the foundation that oversees the Juan Pablo II and other Catholic schools, denied allegations of sexism in education. “Every pupil, according to his or her taste, chooses which  activity they prefer,” he said.  

It isn’t the first time the school has come under the spotlight.Last year the  school principal, Carlos Martínez, was fined by Madrid’s education department for sending out a letter to parents attacking a law that obliges schools to discuss the issues of gender identity in the classroom.

In the letter he compared recent legislation guaranteeing the rights of the capital’s LGBT community with “fanatical terrorism.”

READ MORE: Ikea vows to redesign sexist baby changing signs in Spanish stores

SCHOOL

Spain issues warning as child hand sanitizer poisoning cases spike

The number of children treated in Spain for accidental poisonings after ingesting hand sanitising gels has soared during the pandemic, the government said Wednesday, urging parents to keep the products out of reach.

Spain issues warning as child hand sanitizer poisoning cases spike
Photos: AFP

There have been 874 reported cases of intoxications from hand sanitising gels so far this year, compared to just 90 during all of 2019, the National Toxicological and Forensic Sciences Institute, a unit of the justice ministry, said in a statement.   

Two-thirds of the cases involved children, especially those under the age of two. The vast majority swallowed the hand-sanitiser although some became intoxicated after getting the product in their eyes or inhaling it.

 

No fatalities have been reported and over 80 percent the poisoning victims recovered “in a short time”, the institute said.   

The most common symptoms were, vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing, blurred vision and red eyes.

In a video message posted on Twitter, Justice Minister Juan Carlos Campo called the figures “alarming” and urged parents to “keep hand-sanitising gels out of reach of children and insist that its use to disinfect hands always be supervised by an adult”.

Como ministro de Justicia, pero también como padre, me preocupan los datos de intoxicaciones por gel hidroalcohólico en niños que ha difundido hoy el @INTCFjusticia. Mantengamos estos productos fuera del alcance de los más pequeños. Protejámonos, protejámosles. pic.twitter.com/F5QGPKvX2T

— Juan Carlos Campo (@Jccampm) October 14, 2020

As in other European countries, used of hand-sanitising gels has soared in Spain to curb the spread of Covid-19.

The country has become of the pandemic's hotspots in the European Union, with close to 910,000 registered cases and over 33,000 deaths.

READ ALSO: What happens when there is a Covid-19 outbreak at a school in Spain?

SHOW COMMENTS