SHARE
COPY LINK

SCHOOL

Schoolboy swipes gran’s €10,000 life savings and shares it with classmates

It could have been an incredible act of generosity or a misguided attempt to win friends but it certainly tested even the most doting of grandmother’s love.

Schoolboy swipes gran's €10,000 life savings and shares it with classmates
Photo: Professor25/Depositphotos

When a ten-year-old boy from Caldes de Montbui, near Barcelona, discovered his grandmother’s stash of banknotes, he took it into school and distributed €100 notes among his classmates.

The alarm was raised after a teacher at the school noticed that several children were carrying the large denomination, a rarity in Spain and particularly unsuitable for the canteen.

They questioned the children and traced the source to the boy who had come across the money his grandfather had put aside to buy essential medical equipment.

The story came to light after the teachers at the Escola Montbui primary school created a WhatsApp group for parents asking for the money to be returned and the exchange was read on the radio programme Julia en la Onda on Onda Cero.

“This morning a fifth-form primary school pupil has distributed 100 euro notes he'd taken from his house.

'If your child has been given any of this money, please contact the school immediately so it can be returned to the pupil's family.

“More than €10,000 needs to be recovered. We ask for your utmost understanding and cooperation. This is not a joke.”

One of the parents of a child who had received some cash told the radio station: 'Yes, it's true. Unbelievable but true.'

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

SCHOOL

Spain issues warning as child hand sanitizer poisoning cases spike

The number of children treated in Spain for accidental poisonings after ingesting hand sanitising gels has soared during the pandemic, the government said Wednesday, urging parents to keep the products out of reach.

Spain issues warning as child hand sanitizer poisoning cases spike
Photos: AFP

There have been 874 reported cases of intoxications from hand sanitising gels so far this year, compared to just 90 during all of 2019, the National Toxicological and Forensic Sciences Institute, a unit of the justice ministry, said in a statement.   

Two-thirds of the cases involved children, especially those under the age of two. The vast majority swallowed the hand-sanitiser although some became intoxicated after getting the product in their eyes or inhaling it.

 

No fatalities have been reported and over 80 percent the poisoning victims recovered “in a short time”, the institute said.   

The most common symptoms were, vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing, blurred vision and red eyes.

In a video message posted on Twitter, Justice Minister Juan Carlos Campo called the figures “alarming” and urged parents to “keep hand-sanitising gels out of reach of children and insist that its use to disinfect hands always be supervised by an adult”.

Como ministro de Justicia, pero también como padre, me preocupan los datos de intoxicaciones por gel hidroalcohólico en niños que ha difundido hoy el @INTCFjusticia. Mantengamos estos productos fuera del alcance de los más pequeños. Protejámonos, protejámosles. pic.twitter.com/F5QGPKvX2T

— Juan Carlos Campo (@Jccampm) October 14, 2020

As in other European countries, used of hand-sanitising gels has soared in Spain to curb the spread of Covid-19.

The country has become of the pandemic's hotspots in the European Union, with close to 910,000 registered cases and over 33,000 deaths.

READ ALSO: What happens when there is a Covid-19 outbreak at a school in Spain?

SHOW COMMENTS