A mother and father in northern Spain got the fright of their lives this weekend, when they discovered a snake had crawled into bed right next to their baby's cot.
Firefighters captured the 80cm-long snake, which had made its way into the couple’s bed in the town of Maella, Zaragoza.
The parents discovered the snake at around 6am on Sunday morning when they heard their baby crying. They found it agitated in its cot, just steps away from the snake, which was curled up on the couple’s bed.
— Diputación Zaragoza (@DPZaragoza) July 25, 2016
The snake is relatively common in northern Spain and is not poisonous.
The couple took their baby into the kitchen, from where they called the fire brigade. Firefighters found the snake under the pillow on the bed, they confirmed in a statement via Zaragoza's provincial government.
They freed the snake into a nearby field.