• Spain's news in English
Five red tape essentials for new arrivals in Spain
Photo: Caitlin Childs / Flickr

Five red tape essentials for new arrivals in Spain

The Local · 10 Feb 2016, 13:54

Published: 10 Feb 2016 13:54 GMT+01:00

Facebook Twitter Google+ reddit

Whatever the bureaucratic mission, we highly recommend that you have photocopies of all your documentation ready to hand over when the need arises.

Social Security Number:  

To get a social security number, you must take your identification (passport and any other relevant visa documents), as well as a copy of your employment contract to the nearest social security office.  You will need to fill out an application and show all documentation. 

Bank Account:  

Photo: AFP

When you arrive in Spain one of the first things you will have to do is set up a bank account.  If you want to set up internet, phone, and utilities for your apartment, you will need a Spanish bank account to do so. Although you can shop around for banks, Moving2Madrid recommends an account with Sabadell, because an account can be opened there ahead of your arrival. They also provide a dedicated reliable customer service person who makes it all easy.

NIE (ID Card):

If you plan to spend more than three months in Spain, want to buy a property or start a company, you are legally required to get a NIE, "Número de Identificación Fiscal de Extranjeros", or "Foreigners Registration Number".  

It is important to understand that this is not the same as a Visa or Residency (A visa means you have the right to stay more than 3 months). The NIE is the fiscal number that allows the Spanish government to identify you as well as declare you as a resident.

Register on the Padrón

Photo: Shaun Curry / Flickr

Registering on the padrón is a way of letting your local council know your new place of residence. You must do this if you are paying taxes and getting a medical card. Likewise, when you renew your residency they will ask you for the updated padron. The process for this is fairly easy and can be done in the same day. Make an appointment at your nearest office or online. You will need a completed application form (available at local registration office), your passport (and a photocopy) and proof of address such as a rental contract or utility bill.

Click here for more info on how to register

Medical Card

Story continues below…

Photo: Madrid.org

If you are planning on using the social medical care system instead of private insurance, you will need to sign up with your local medical centre and get a Medical card (tarjeta sanitaria). The process is easy once you have completed all the other bureaucratic steps above.

You will need to take along your passport and NIE, your padrón, and your social security number to your local centro de salud to register. 

Marianne Calvin, a relocation expert at Moving2Madrid, has written a more detailed guide on the bureaucratic challenges. If you are relocating to Madrid and want help with these steps or advice on renting or buying contact Moving2Madrid or make an appointment for a free consultation.

Have you had a bad experience with bureaucracy in Spain? Please tell us about your red tape nightmare in Spain either in comment below, on our facebook page or send an email to news@thelocal.es

For more news from Spain, join us on Facebook and Twitter.

The Local (news@thelocal.es)

Facebook Twitter Google+ reddit

Your comments about this article

Today's headlines
Man attacked by racist thug in UK street for talking Spanish

Tomas Gil, 27, from Valencia in eastern Spain was talking to his girlfriend in their native language after a night out in the British seaside town of Poole when he was set upon by a racist thug.

Malaga: Police probe bizarre 'sex death' of homeless Brit
The man was found near Malaga airport. Photo: Dennis Howlett / Flickr

A British homeless man was found dead tied to a bench near Malaga airport with his trousers down and his genitals in a can of tuna.

Clock ticking as Spain races to avoid third elections
Third elections could now be avoided. Photo: AFP

Spain's Socialists voted on Sunday to allow the conservatives to take power, likely averting a third election for Spaniards tired of going to the polls.

Spain worries about tourism future
Photo: Josep Lago / AFP file picture

After basking in its best tourist summer season in 15 years, Spain now sees dark clouds on the horizon as popular destinations reach saturation point and holidaymakers are more thrifty, industry experts say.

Spain's Socialists lift veto on Rajoy to break deadlock
The Socialists have decided to lift their veto on the minority conservative government or not. Photo: Gerard Julien/ AFP

Spain's embattled Socialists on Sunday voted to lift a long-standing veto that has prevented the conservatives from forming a minority government, in what should finally end a ten-month political impasse.

Spain's 'Napflix' aims to bore viewers to sleep
Photo: Screengrab/ Napflix

A Spanish video platform called Napflix, designed to put people to sleep with dull content, was launched this week and its founders are on the lookout for more "monotony and repetition."

Recipe: How to make fabada - traditional Asturian bean stew
Photo: Flavio Lorenzo Sánchez/Flickr

The hearty Asturian dish is a perfect lunch on a cold day... and don't forget the crusty bread and cider!

Brit 'paedo' held on Costa del Sol after Most Wanted appeal

One of Britain's most wanted fugitives was arrested on the Costa Del Sol following a tip-off from an expat just hours after his face appeared on a public appeal.

Spain's parliament approves deficit reduction measures
Photo: Images Money/Flickr

Spanish lawmakers approved on Thursday measures to reduce the public deficit and keep it under the target agreed with the European Union.

'Cubism and War' show opens at Barcelona Picasso Museum
Pablo Picasso Harlequin and Woman with a Necklace. Photo: MP

Barcelona's Picasso Museum unveiled an exhibition on "Cubism and War" on Thursday depicting how one of the most influential artistic styles of the 20th century survived the First World War.

Hunt launched for ten most wanted Brit fugitives hiding out in Spain
Sponsored Article
Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections
Napflix: Spaniards launch very boring TV channel for siestas
Madrid parish church faces fine over 'too noisy' bells
Celebrate expat life at Madrid’s THRIVE convention
Fury after kids told to bring their own loo roll to school
Disney announces plans for Don Quixote action movie
Activist tells 8-yr-old matador wannabe with cancer 'just die'
King to make last minute push to avoid third vote in Spain
Amazing photos of Catalonia's 'human tower' contest
What's on in Spain: October 2016
'No way, Jose! You'll never get your hands on our Rock'
Recipe: How to make a classic Spanish tortilla de patatas
Chorizo in paella? Go back to cooking school Jamie Oliver
Spain in eye of a perfect storm after 10 months without govt
Thousands share clips of life for 'Spain in a Day' film
Ten incredible Spain locations for Game of Thrones season 7
Analysis & Opinion
Why moving to Spain could be the best decision of your life
Seven reasons why autumn is the very best season in Spain
Spanish study finds four types of personality. Which are you?
New search underway for civil war grave of poet Lorca
Bison found decapitated on Valencia nature reserve
Forgotten Voices: What Brits in Spain think about Brexit
One dead and 14 injured in blast at Spanish resort
jobs available