Dreaming of a white Christmas… dream on! Spain set for warm spell
Jessica Jones · 16 Dec 2015, 10:42
Published: 16 Dec 2015 10:42 GMT+01:00
- Fat chance: The ultimate guide to El Gordo - Spain's Christmas lottery (16 Dec 15)
- 12 cracking Christmas gifts from Spain to buy for people back home (09 Dec 15)
- What's on in Spain: December 2015 (30 Nov 15)
- It's official: Summer 2015 was the hottest ever experienced in Spain (26 Nov 15)
- Ten brilliant ways to enjoy winter in Spain (18 Nov 15)
Just as people begin dreaming of a white Christmas, a mass of subtropical air is set to sweep across Spain, bathing the country in unseasonably warm weather.
"Warm, dry air from North Africa will sweep over the Canary Islands before hitting the south and southeast of Spain," Spain’s national weather agency, Aemet, said in a statement on Wednesday.
"This will coincide with a rise in temperatures across the whole country, which will be much higher than the average for this time of year," Aemet added.
Temperatures could exceed 25C in the Canary Islands and 22C in mainland Spain and the Balearic Islands and 15C in northern Spain.
But it is not all great news. As usual, Spain's wild northern coast will bear the brunt of some dramatic weather, with winds of over 100km/hour forecast towards the end of the week.