Two injured in Barcelona hotel shooting
The Local · 28 Jul 2015, 18:44
Published: 28 Jul 2015 16:17 GMT+02:00
Updated: 28 Jul 2015 18:44 GMT+02:00
- Barcelona shooting victim was Dutch fugitive (31 Jul 15)
- Brit, Belgian were targets in Barcelona shooting (29 Jul 15)
- Shooting took place outside the Hotel Silken Ramblas in the tourist centre of Barcelona at 15.10 on Tuesday causing panic among tourists
- One man was shot and is said to be in serious condition while another suffered only light injuries from broken glass.
- One gunman is being sought for the attack.
Police launched a hunt for a gunman who opened fire at a hotel in Barcelona just off the city's bustling tourist avenue of Las Ramblas on Tuesday afternoon, shooting one man in the stomach.
The shooting took place at the doors of Hotel Silken Ramblas on Calle Pintor Fortuny, breaking the glass of the window of the hotel.
The injured men, ran through the hotel and out of a fire exit at the back to escape their attacker, who eyewitnesses say was wearing a balaclava.
One man suffered only minor injuries from broken glass while the other collapsed in a nearby souvenir shop bleedding profusely from an abdominal gun wound, according to a report in Spanish newspaper El Pais.
Various reports citing police sources indicated that the
This is the scene in Barcelona as there has been a shooting at Las Ramblas. pic.twitter.com/jPPNcz57Ul— David O'Keeffe (@davidokeeffe) July 28, 2015
Police launched a manhunt for the shooter, initially fearing that he was hiding out in a nearby supermarket, a theory that was later discounted.
The motive for shooting was not immediately known athough sources quoted in El Mundo indicated that it might have been an attempt to rob a tourist a gunpoint.
Another report in El Pais suggested it had all the markings of an organised revenge hit.
Coups de feu en plein après-midi à 50 mètres de la Rambla de Barcelone. Plusieurs blessés. pic.twitter.com/HG28RJGd0z— Aurélie Chamerois (@AurelieCham) July 28, 2015