SHARE
COPY LINK
FOOTBALL FOCUS

ATLETICO MADRID

Atlético Madrid confirms Fernando Torres return

Spain's former Chelsea and Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is set to return to La Liga champions Atlético Madrid, the Spanish club confirmed on Monday.

Atlético Madrid confirms Fernando Torres return
During his six seasons at Atlético Madrid, Spanish forward Fernando Torres played 244 games and scored 91 goals. Photo: Gabriel Bouys/AFP

The 30-year-old will make the switch from AC Milan, where he is on loan from Chelsea, back to his boyhood club seven years after he departed.

The transfer will take place after a medical check has been performed on the forward, Atlético Madrid said in a statement on its website. 

The move will be finalized on January 5th during the winter transfer period.

SEE ALSO: Ten things you need to know about Spain's La Liga

Sports newspapers such as Marca and AS over the weekend said Torres's move back to Atletico was decided after the Madrid club's Italian player Alessio Cerci agreed to move to Milan in return.

During six seasons at Atlético Madrid, Torres, who became club captain, played 244 games and scored 91 goals.

After his rise in Madrid, he was then snapped up by Premier League club Liverpool where he spent four successful seasons before a high profile £50 million (€63.8 million /$77.9 million) transfer to Chelsea where he struggled badly to reach his previous heights.

Torres scored some memorable goals for the Stamford Bridge outfit, notably in the 2012 Champions League semi-final win over Barcelona and the 2013 Europa League final when the Blues edged Benfica 2-1 in the final minute.

He also won the FA Cup as well as the Champions League but came in for constant scrutiny over his scoring rate of 45 total goals, 20 in the Premier League, in 172 matches.

The Spanish international, who also won the 2010 World Cup and 2008 and 2012 European championships, also found his place in the national team called into question.

He has scored just one goal for AC Milan this season.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

FOOTBALL

Godin says he’s going nowhere despite reports of English interest

Centre-back Diego Godin said on Tuesday he wanted to stay with Atletico Madrid "for personal reasons", but that he is yet to extend his contract which expires in 2019.

Godin says he's going nowhere despite reports of English interest
Godin greets supporters during celebrations for their Europa League victory at the Fountain of Neptune in Madrid on May 18th 2018.

The Uruguayan international had been linked with a move to Manchester United before the English transfer window closed on August 9th.

“I received offers, but decided to stay for personal reasons,” the 32-year-old Godin told Movistar+.

“I have not yet extended (my contract). I've seen a lot of things in the  press, but now, what's important is to wait and concentrate on the (UEFA Super Cup) final.”

Europa League winners Atletico take on city rivals and Champions League holders Real Madrid in the Super Cup in Tallinn on Wednesday before the start of the La Liga season this weekend.

Godin has played 350 matches for Atletico since joining from Villarreal eight years ago, winning the Spanish league title in 2014, the Europa League in 2012 and earlier this year, and the 2013 Copa del Rey.

The capital-city club has a policy of “only extending the contracts of players over the age of 30 on an annual basis”, according to Spanish sports daily AS.