Can you pass the Spanish citizenship test?

With judges around Spain setting more and more difficult 'citizenship tests', would you be able to answer questions difficult enough to stump even Spaniards? Read on to find out.

Can you pass the Spanish citizenship test?
Have you got what it takes to pass the Spanish citizenship test? Football fans: Shutterstock

Foreigners hoping to attain Spanish citizenship are increasingly being set questions to test their 'cultural knowledge' of the country.

Under Spanish law, foreigners do not have to be tested, but judges in regions, such as Barcelona, have decided to test newcomers to assess their level of integration.

Click here to go straight to the sample citizenship test questions

The tests are not standardized, which means people can be asked questions of wildly varying difficulty and relevance to their citizenship application, on subjects such as geography, history, culture and language.

There are even trick questions.

This has angered some lawyers, who say applicants are regularly failing the exam, which can have a severe impact on whether or not they are granted nationality.

For Olga Hernández, member of the Catalan Association of Immigration Professionals (ACPE), who has compiled a list of over 200 questions to help immigrants pass the test, the exams are unfair, "I would like to know if a Spaniard could pass this test", she told El País this week. 

But how would you fare? The Local has compiled eight sample questions so you can find out. And don't worry, each question is followed by the answer.

Click here to take sample questions from the Spanish citizenship test. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


The little-known process you have to do when you become a Spanish citizen

Foreigners who've continuously resided in Spain for ten years have the option of applying for Spanish citizenship. But what happens when your get you new Spanish DNI number? How do you change all your documents over to your new nationality?

The little-known process you have to do when you become a Spanish citizen

Here’s how to request the change of your Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) for your new Documento Nacional de Identidad (DNI), if you have obtained Spanish nationality. 

The process of becoming a Spanish national is lengthy and you will have to pass two exams to get it – the DELE (Diploma of Spanish as a foreign language) test and the CCSE citizenship test, testing your knowledge of Spain’s Constitution, its society and its cultural heritage.

READ ALSO – Quiz: Can you pass the Spanish citizenship test?

But what about when you’ve passed both tests, you’ve gained your Spanish nationality and you’re finally holding that Spanish national identity card, the DNI in your hand?

In order for your DNI to really take effect, you’ll have to change your NIE for your new DNI number. To do this, you will have to carry out a series of procedures to update all the official paperwork and verify your identity. 

READ ALSO – Step by step: how to apply for Spanish nationality

How to make the exchange 

To carry out this procedure, you must notify the Social Security office, so they can change your number and your nationality. This procedure can be carried out electronically using your Digital Certificate or [email protected] here

Via the above link to the Social Security office, you must fill out the Modelo TA.1 form to make the exchange. You will need to fill out all your personal details, as well as include copies of your old NIE and your new DNI.  

Certificate of proof

You will also need to apply for a Certificado de Concordancia at the foreign office of your nearest National Police station. When you are making a cita previa or prior appointment to do this, you should choose the option (Certificados de Residencia, de no Residencia y de Concordancia).

This certificate is used to prove that you are the same person who now has a Spanish DNI. You can use it at various official places such as the tax office, Town Hall, the Dirección General de Tráfico (DGT) office, banks and any other administrative offices.

You can now inform other authorities of your exchange, including the tax office or Agencia Tributaria as well as your local Town Hall or Ayuntamiento. You will also need to request a new padrón certificate, stating your new nationality.

Other official offices you should inform of the change include your bank, your notary if you bought a property using your NIE, and the DGT office, if you need to change your driving licence too.  

READ ALSO: What are the reasons for losing Spanish residency or nationality and can I get it back?