“It's been the talk of the town for days. The whole suburb's gone psychotic because of this creature.”
These are the words of the upstairs neighbours of Iris Castroverde, the 30-year-old hairdresser who was bitten by the snake last Sunday while on the toilet.
“I saw something like this on television once, but that was in the Philippines, not in Narón,” the neighbours said, referring to the Galician town where the snake struck.
Castroverde, a mother of two young children, says she was seated on her toilet at around 11pm when she heard a muffled noise. This was followed by a splashing, and that's when she felt a bite on her backside.
When she pressed the flush, she was shocked to see a bright yellow and green snake, about 20 centimetres (eight inches) long, disappear down the drain.
Dazed, she took herself to a local hospital for treatment. She is now recovering.
“It happened to me, but it could have happened to my two children,” Castroverde told Spain's ABC newspaper.
All of the bathrooms in the building where the hairdresser lives have now been closed and Castroverde's nervous neighbours are busily throwing bleach down their drains.
“I read somewhere the strong smells keep them away,” one female neighbour said.
She even confessed she had spent Monday evening looking for a urinal. “I prefer to pee standing up,” explained the frightened woman.
A police search for the snake has failed to bring results but agents believe that the snake, if still alive, has already well and truly left the building.