SHARE
COPY LINK
WORLD CUP 2014

BRAZIL

Injured Thiago out of Spain’s World Cup squad

Spain midfielder Thiago Alcantara has been ruled out of next month's World Cup in Brazil after suffering a fresh knee injury, his club Bayern Munich confirmed on Thursday.

Injured Thiago out of Spain's World Cup squad
File photo: Christof Stache

The 23-year-old will undergo more surgery after again tearing the medial ligament in his right knee — the same injury which has kept him out since March — in club training on Monday.

He will miss the World Cup with holders Spain opening their defence against the Netherlands in Group B on June 13th in Salvador, Brazil, in a repeat of the 2010 final.

On Tuesday, Spain boss Vicente del Bosque had included Thiago in his 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup having made five appearances for Spain.

"That is a bitter pill for Thiago, we're really sorry for the boy," said Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge as Thiago joined Bayern from Barcelona last July.

"He's a young lad who has been working on his comeback while looking forward to the World Cup – now suddenly both dreams have been burst.

"We will take good care of him in the next few weeks so that he is fit for the 2014/15 season."

Thiago will also miss Saturday's German Cup final against Borussia Dortmund in Berlin with Bayern bidding to win the domestic double having already won the Bundesliga title.

The fresh injury comes with Thiago on the verge of returning from the same injury he suffered in March and he also missed nearly three months towards the end of 2013 after tearing ankle ligaments.

The son of Brazil's former World Cup winner Mazinho, Thiago had been included in the match-day squad for Bayern's 1-0 league win over Stuttgart on Saturday and had been hoping to make his return in the German Cup final.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

FOOTBALL

Spain proposes 2030 World Cup bid shared with Morocco and Portugal

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said on Monday that he had pitched the idea of a joint bid between his country, Portugal and Morocco to host the 2030 World Cup.

Spain proposes 2030 World Cup bid shared with Morocco and Portugal
Spain won the world cup in 2010. Photo: AFP

“I made the proposal, firstly to the government then to King Mohammed VI to launch a shared application with Morocco, Portugal and Spain to host the 2030 World Cup,” Sanchez said in Rabat after a meeting with the monarch.   

“It will be the first two-continent application, with Europe and Africa, and King Mohammed VI welcomed the proposal warmly.”   

Earlier this year the King ordered the Royal Moroccan Football Federation to launch their own World Cup bid but the office of the Moroccan prime minister, Saad Eddine el Othmani, refused to comment on Sanchez's statement when contacted by AFP.

The north African country has failed five times to bring the tournament to the southern shores of the Mediterranean, with the United States, Canada and Mexico most recently beating them to the 2026 competition.   

Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay have proposed a bid to coordinate the 2030 event, which will mark 100 years since the first tournament.   

Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia are also considering a joint bid, as are the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.   

The official bidding process is set to being in 2020.

READ ALSO: Spanish PM pushes for greater migration cooperation on visit to Morocco