Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

'Chorizo from hell' badly burns Dutch tourists

Share this article

'Chorizo from hell' badly burns Dutch tourists
“All hell broke loose then. The flames were like something you'd see in an explosion,” said a witness. Photo: Elentir/Flickr
13:52 CEST+02:00
Two Dutch tourists have been flown back home after a flambéed chorizo they ordered in a restaurant in southern Spain caused them second-degree burns on much of their faces and upper bodies.

The middle-aged couple had sat down to eat at a restaurant in Nerja (Málaga) on the night of the 25th of March when the incident occurred.

They ordered the traditional Spanish dish Chorizo al Infierno, or Hell-style Chorizo, a flambéed Spanish sausage cooked with alcohol.

But when the dish arrived, the Dutch couple noticed the flames were almost out and the dish was going cold.

“They ordered more alcohol and then moved the chorizo around,” one witness told local daily La Opinión de Málaga.

“All hell broke loose then. The flames were like something you’d see in an explosion.”

The pair were rushed to the local hospital Comarcal de la Axarquía by ambulance, where they were treated for “second-degree burns on hands, face, arms, shoulders and thorax”.

Hospital authorities have estimated that up to 20 percent of the man’s body was burned in the incident, 15 percent in the woman’s case.

The couple are now recovering from their burns in a hospital in Holland. 

Don't miss stories about Spain, join us on Facebook and Twitter

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

Change the world with a master's degree from Sweden's Linköping University

Master's students at world-leading Linköping University (LiU) aren't there simply to study. They solve real-world problems alongside experts in fields that can create a better tomorrow. Do you have what it takes to join them?

Advertisement