Advertisement

Man dies while taking selfie on top of train

Alex Dunham
Alex Dunham - [email protected]
Man dies while taking selfie on top of train
Local paramedics and police rushed to the scene but found the 21 year old was already dead. Photo: Damaged Cupcake/Flickr

A 21-year-old from southern Spain died on Saturday after being electrocuted when he climbed on to a train to take a photo of himself with friends.

Advertisement

The young man from the Andalusian town of Andújar suffered the fatal blow when he touched a high-voltage wire on a train he and his friends had assumed was not electrified.

They'd clambered on top of the parked wagon at Andújar train station to take a picture of themselves when they suffered the severe electric shock.

Spanish online daily Ideal reported that a 3,5000-volt discharge killed the young man as he went to take the photo.

Local paramedics and police rushed to the scene but found the 21-year-old was already dead.

One of his friends survived the shock but remains in a serious condition at the local Alto Guadalquivir Hospital.

Andújar's mayor has declared three days of mourning for the town of 40,000 people in the middle of olive growing country.

Don't miss stories about Spain, join us on Facebook and Twitter.  

More

Comments

Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also