Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Exploding toilet leaves woman badly burnt

Share this article

Exploding toilet leaves woman badly burnt
According to Catalunya Radio, the woman has since sued the owners of the bar for the serious injuries she sustained. Photo: Thedailyenglishshow/Flickr
12:00 CET+01:00
A woman has had to undergo skin grafting on her legs after she was badly burnt in a methane gas explosion caused by the lack of ventilation and cleanliness of a Barcelona bar toilet.

If you’ve always been a bit squeamish about using public toilets, here’s another good reason to avoid loos that look particularly grubby.

A woman in a bar in Barcelona’s Gothic Quarter suffered second and third degree burns to her legs when the toilet she was sitting on exploded from underneath her.

According to the official police report, the blast was caused by the unhygienic conditions of the septic tank and the lack of ventilation in the lavatory.

When the woman switched on the light, a spark acted as a trigger for the methane gas which filled the toilet.

As the victim was sitting down, the gas was compressed therefore causing a strong blast.

According to Catalunya Radio, the woman has since sued the owners of the bar for the serious injuries she sustained.

Don't miss stories about Spain, join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

Eight hacks to turn your next long-haul flight into a holiday

While there’s a lot of wisdom to the saying ‘it’s the journey, not the destination’, it’s a safe assumption that most people don’t view the flight itself as the highlight. Which is not to say it shouldn't be.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement