SHARE
COPY LINK

PHILIPPINES

Spain seeks 14 missing in typhoon-hit Philippines

Spain’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been trying to contact 14 Spaniards who were in the Philippines when deadly Typhoon Haiyan swept through the Asian country last week.

Spain seeks 14 missing in typhoon-hit Philippines
Photo:Ted Aljibe/AFP

Although Spain’s government announced on Monday that no Spanish citizens were thought to have been killed, ten tourists and four residents still remain out of contact.

Spanish Foreign Affairs Minister José Manuel García-Margallo told a press conference there was no need to be “too alarmed” because of the severe telecommunications infrastructure issues affecting the former Spanish and American colony.

García-Margallo announced that Madrid’s consular emergencies lobby was trying in every way to reach the fourteen Spaniards still missing and that Spain offered “full availability” to the Philippines to help in whatever means possible.

Up to 100,000 people are feared dead after Haiyan swept through the central Philippines, with the city of Tacloban, battered by huge waves, perhaps the worst affected location.

Spain sent two airplanes with emergency supplies to the Philippines on Monday, the country’s Secretary of State for International Cooperation Jesús Gracía announced.

Super Typhoon Haiyan, which made landfall in Vietnam early on Monday, was a category 5 typhoon — the highest level — when it hit the Philippines on Friday.

Wind gusts of 389kph (235mph) were recorded by the US navy, making this the fourth largest typhoon ever recorded.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CINEMA

Spanish necrophilia movie is surprise hit in the Philippines

When it premiered in Spain, only 9,000 saw it. But the creepy movie about necrophilia has been viewed illegally six million times in the Philippines.

Spanish necrophilia movie is surprise hit in the Philippines
Archive photo of a body in a hospital. Photo: Jeff Pachou/AFP.

Director Hèctor Hernández Vicens' first feature film The Corpse of Anna Fritz has only been viewed 9,000 times, making just €36,000 in Spain since its premiere in October, according to entertainment magazine Fotogramas.

But in the Philippines, the creepy thriller is raking in millions of views – all illegally.

The film tells the disturbing story of three young friends who decide to be the last people to have sex with a dead, beautiful actress named Anna Fritz inside of a morgue.

WARNING: The following tráiler shows scenes some may find offensive

Fotogramas estimated that the movie has been viewed between 5 million to 7 million times in the Philippines, but the filmmakers are not making any money there.

The movie crew told reporters that they started seeing dozens of messages posted on the film's unofficial Facebook page, written in Tagalog, the most widely spoken language in the Philippines, and other local languages.

They asked their distribution company whether the film was being sold in the Philippines, and were told that it was not. Soon they found that a pirated copy was circulating around Facebook.

One of the actors and producers on the film, Bernat Saumell, has said that the movie team launched legal action to try to stop the illegal distribution of the film.

They have managed to get YouTube to pull a version posted on their site and have hired lawyers 

They also want to screen the film in the Pacific island country and promote the movie there.

The movie has been shown at a number of film festivals around the world, including South by Southwest in Austin, Texas and the London Film Festival.

That a film with such distasteful subject matter should prove such a hit in the Philippines is hardly surprising.

According to Google Trends, the Philippines tops the list where the term 'necrophilia' is most searched for. 

SHOW COMMENTS