Religion teacher ‘sorry’ for chopping up brother

The Spanish religion teacher who recently confessed to killing his brother and hiding the chopped up remains in a freezer showed remorse as he detailed the grizzly attack in a Majorca court room.

Religion teacher 'sorry' for chopping up brother
Diego G.R showed remorse as he described how he had lost his head and "finished off" his brother who "lay in agony" on the floor. Photo: Spanish National Police

"I gave him five minutes to leave the house, but he didn't want to," murder suspect Diego G.R told the court on Wednesday, explaining the events leading up to the death of his brother.

"I told him I was going to call a locksmith to change the lock on the doors.

"Then I saw a shadow behind me," said the 38-year-old religion teacher.

"It was him (my brother) and he was going to attack me with a hammer," local daily Diario de Mallorca reported him as saying in court. 

Diego G.R was originally detained on September 30th after he voluntarily turned up at a police station to confess, Spanish police said in a statement. 

The suspect told police his 32-year-old brother Victor had moved in with him about a year ago, leading to heated quarrels.

On Wednesday in court, he outlined how — after one such argument — he had repeatedly struck his brother with a hammer until he was dead. 

He said his brother had refused to leave "once and for all".

Diego G.R showed remorse as he described how he had lost his head and "finished off" his brother who "lay in agony" on the floor.

He went on to explain how he had then gone to a local shop to buy a freezer in which to place his brother's body.

When he realized his brother would not fit into the domestic appliance, he decided to chop him up and place the remains in plastic bags.

After his testimony which lasted more than an hour, Diego G.R was remanded in custody without bail, with the judge saying he was a flight risk.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Spain marks five years since Catalonia jihadist attacks

A ceremony was held in Barcelona on Wednesday in memory of 16 people killed in jihadist attacks in the Catalan city and a nearby resort exactly five years ago.

Spain marks five years since Catalonia jihadist attacks

Dozens of people observed a minute’s silence on the tree-lined Las Ramblas boulevard where on August 17, 2017 a van mowed down pedestrians, leaving a trail of death.

As a cellist played a traditional Catalan song, relatives of the victims and officials laid white carnations in front of a memorial plaque marking the spot where the van came to a halt.

Among those attending were Transport Minister Raquel Sánchez, Culture minister Miquel Iceta, the president of the regional government of Catalonia Pere Aragonès, and Barcelona mayor Ada Colau.

“This date used to be just another day in the calendar. Now on August 17 you always wake up with a knot in your stomach,” Colau told public television TVE just before the ceremony.

The attacks, which also left 140 people injured, were carried out by a cell made up mostly of young people of Moroccan descent who grew up in Catalonia. They were claimed by the Islamic State group.

The first attack took place on the famous Ramblas avenue in Barcelona, where a truck rammed into passers-by, killing 14 people, mostly foreign tourists. The youngest victim was a three-year-old boy.

Relatives of victims hold white carnation flowers to place at Las Ramblas Boulevard in Barcelona, on August 17, 2022, as the city marks the fifth anniversary of the 2017 jihadist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils that left 16 people dead. – A van rammed into crowds on Las Ramblas Boulevard in the heart of Barcelona on August 17, 2017, igniting four days of terror. (Photo by Josep LAGO / AFP)

The driver, who had killed a 30-year-old man to steal his car while fleeing, was shot dead a few days later by the police.

Several hours after the first attack, five accomplices drove into more pedestrians and stabbed a woman who later died of her injuries in Cambrils, a seaside resort 100 kilometres (60 miles) to the south. All five suspects were shot dead by police.

In a tweet, Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said Barcelona and Cambrils had “suffered hate and terror in their streets”.

“Five years later, we remember the victims of these attacks with our sights set on continuing to build a future of peace,” he said.

A Spanish court in 2021 found three men guilty of assisting the perpetrators of the attacks and sentenced them to eight, 46 and 53 years in jail.

But last month, a court reduced by 10 years the sentences of the two men who had received the longest jail terms. The third convict was granted parole in September 2021.

A handful of protesters who accuse the Spanish government of being behind the attacks jeered and chanted during the moment of silence and held up signs that read: “We demand the truth”.

The protest was called by several small Catalan separatist groups and some of the signs held up by the participants had Catalan separatist flags.