Advertisement

Fresh protests planned over Spanish paedophile

Author thumbnail
AFP/The Local - [email protected]
Fresh protests planned over Spanish paedophile
Policemen arrest a protester during a demonstration in Rabat on the release of a Spanish paedophile. Photo: AFP / Fadel Senna

Moroccans furious over the pardon of Daniel Galvan Vina convicted of raping 11 children aged between four and 15, are set to have more demonstrations as the king on Saturday announced an investigation into his release.

Advertisement

Social media sites have called for fresh protests in Casablanca and Rabat next week after baton-wielding police dispersed demonstrations on Friday.

Daniel Galvan Vina, said to be in his 60s, was pardoned by King Mohammed VI and freed on Tuesday from jail in Kenitra, north of the capital.

He had been sentenced in September 2011 to 30 years in prison.

Galvan was among 48 Spanish prisoners released in response to a request from Spanish King Juan Carlos, who visited Morocco in mid-July, the justice
ministry said.

But royal palace said in a statement carried on Morocco's official MAP news agency that the king had been unaware of the nature of Galvan's crimes and had ordered a probe into his release.

The investigation should "determine the responsibilities and the failures that led to this regrettable release," the statement said.

"The king was never informed -- in any way or at any time -- of the seriousness of the abject crimes of which the person concerned was convicted," the palace added.

"It is clear that the sovereign would never have consented" to his release, given the "monstrous crimes" committed, the statement concluded.

Galvan is thought to have already left the country.

The incident has sparked outrage in the north African country, which has seen several high-profile paedophile arrests in recent months.

On Friday night, baton-wielding police dispersed several thousand people who tried to protest in front of the parliament in Rabat.

Dozens were injured, including reporters and news photographers, and some had to be hospitalised.

Others were held outside the Moroccan embassy in Paris on Saturday and in Kenitra, where the man had been held.

Police also broke up demonstrations in Tanger and Tetouan.
 

More

Comments

Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also