SHARE
COPY LINK

CORRUPTION

Princess Cristina knew of dodgy deals: reports

Spanish media published extracts on Wednesday of documents which indicate the king's youngest daughter was aware of dodgy deals carried out by her husband, who is being probed for embezzlement.

Princess Cristina knew of dodgy deals: reports
Princess Cristina and her husband Iñaki Urdangarin arrive at the Marivent Palace on the island of Mallorca on February 24th 2012. Photo: Lluis Gene/AFP

Iñaki Urdangarin, who is married to Princess Cristina, and former partner Diego Torres are suspected of siphoning off millions of euros paid by regional governments to the Nóos Institute.

Both men have denied any wrongdoing and have not been charged with any crime, but the scandal is casting a growing shadow over the royal family.

Urdangarin, who gained the title of Duke of Palma when he married Princess Cristina, was chairman of the charitable body from 2004 to 2006.

When Urdangarin was questioned in court last month by a judge investigating the corruption case on the Mediterranean island of Mallorca, he sought to distance the royal family from his suspect business dealings.

But Torres has been releasing emails and other documents in recent weeks in a bid to implicate the royal household in the affair.

Daily newspaper El Mundo reported Wednesday that Torres submitted 30 emails to investigating judge Jose Castro who is leading the corruption probe.

The emails "detail how the duke explained to his wife the details of the Nóos Institute's affairs since she was part of its executive committee".

In one email dated February 20th 2003 published by the online editions of daily newspapers El Pais and El Mundo, Urdangarin asks his wife for her opinion on a document which he had prepared for clients of the Nóos Institute.

Last month Spanish media published other emails that it said were sent by Urdangarin which appeared to indicate that King Juan Carlos closely followed his business dealings.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CORRUPTION

Barçagate: Police raid FC Barcelona offices and arrest former president

Police raided the offices of FC Barcelona on Monday, carrying out several arrests just six days ahead of the club's presidential elections, a Catalan regional police spokesman told AFP.

Barçagate: Police raid FC Barcelona offices and arrest former president
Barcelona's former president Josep Maria Bartomeu is among the arrested. Photo: Josep Lago/AFP

Spain's Cadena Ser radio said one of those arrested was former club president Josep Maria Bartomeu, who resigned in October, along with CEO Oscar Grau and the club's head of legal services.

But the police refused to confirm names, saying only “arrests are taking place” and adding that the operation was being run by officers from the financial crimes unit.

“We are in the process of carrying out an operation right now with agents of the financial crimes unit,” the police spokesman told AFP.

According to reports in the Spanish media, the operation is linked to last year's investigation into the 'BarçaGate' scandal, which saw the club deny hiring a company to criticise current and former players on social media to improve the image of the then-president Bartomeu.

Cadena Ser said Barca paid €1 million in six separate invoices to the company I3 Ventures, with whom the club have since cut ties.

Bartomeu resigned in October, after mounting pressure following months of controversy and a dramatic decline in performances on the pitch.

His successor is due to be elected on Sunday, when club members will choose between the final three candidates, Joan Laporta, Toni Freixa and Victor Font.

SHOW COMMENTS